Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Broiled Tilapia with Mas Food Steam Fish Sauce


Broiled Tilapia with Mas Food Steam Fish Sauce by Phay Ing Landers

Ever experienced how a certain flavor brings back nostalgic memories of the good old days when you gathered with friends and enjoyed the food? This Mas Food Steam Fish Sauce certainly creates a dish that brought me those memories. At the first bite, I was instantly reminded of the grilled stingray I had many years ago at Newton Hawker Center in Singapore. Home run! Now I can re-create the grilled fish whenever I want in my kitchen.

I choose tilapia fillet as it has a very mild taste, and can take on whatever flavor the sauce has to offer. I decided to broil the frozen fillet instead of steaming it as I wanted a quick no-fuss dish, and with minimum clean up.  All I had to do was arrange the fillets on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Next, I lathered the fish fillets lavishly with the sauce and placed them 6” from the broiler for 10 minutes or till they are cooked through.
The verdict: The tau cheong (bean paste) was not overpowering and blended well with the other ingredients (chili, ginger, garlic). The additions of chili and ginger in the spice paste added a kick to the palate. However it is not that spicy in a sense as my young boys were happily finishing their fillet, and downing one glass of water!

This sauce is certainly for keeps. I can’t wait to try the sauce on shrimps, mussels …

No comments:

Post a Comment